I love big wall art DIY projects. Especially ones that can be done on the cheap like this one and incorporates wood.
- Wood board (mine is 24″ x 24″ and was $5 from Home Depot) //
- Wood Stain //
- Paintbrush //
- Paint (one for the main color and one for the quote) //
1. Stain your wood board. I used Varathane American Walnut and did two coats. I usually use a rag to apply the stain to the wood but this time I used a section of felt and it worked really well!
Apply the stain in the direction of the wood grain and apply evenly.
2. Wait for the stain to dry. Once the stain is dry, trace the outline of any shape or animal you want. I used a stag head, which you can download below. A fox head, deer head, horse, mountain, and triangles would all look awesome.
I printed out the stag head and used it to guide my outline.
3. Next, paint around the outline so that the head itself is the stained wood:
4. I did 3 coats to ensure good coverage. After the paint dries, pick a quote and trace it in the middle or side of the shape or animal. I simply used “every day I love you.” Paint over the words with a contrasting color- I used a light peach color and did 2 coats.
5. Wait for the paint to dry and then hang up or display your new large art piece!