I moved into my house 9 months ago and I only just got my jewelry unpacked last month :| It always seems like there’s a few boxes of random stuff that takes that long to finally get settled…at least in my moves anyway. And my accessories are always one of them. For some reason all those little knick knacks just seem so overwhelming to put away. Somehow, no matter how carefully I think I pack the box (ok, lets be real, I probably threw the jewelry haphazardly in with something else on the morning of the move) all my necklaces seem to get tangled and the earrings go everywhere!
So it seems to take months and then one cleaning day I get really into organizing and decide to tackle my baubles. This time when I did though, I realized I was in dire need of some new jewelry organizers. About 5 years ago, I thought up a simple solution to hold all my stud earrings and IT HAS BEEN MY FAVORITE. Not only does it keep me from loosing half of every pair of earrings I own, but it keeps them super organized and easily accessible. And probably the best part? You don’t have to remove the backings every time you put the earrings away!
You just stick your pair right into the foam where they stay, intact, upright, and on display. I love it. If my earring holder were any more complicated, I would never use it. But this takes as long as throwing them into an open box. And, for forgetful people like me, this makes it so I don’t have to remember all my earrings. I can easily see all my options when I’m getting ready!
- Picture frames //
- Spray paint in chosen color (optional) //
- 1″ thick craft foam //
- Scissors //
- Marker //
- Hot glue and gun
- I love finding my frames at the thrift store. There are much more unique options and the price cannot be beat (new frames are so exspensive!). Remove the glass and back of the frames and wipe them clean if necessary.
- Paint them if desired.
- You want the foam to go where the picture would go. So you can use the inserts that came with the frame to trace.
- If the frame has a complex shape and you don’t have the inserts, you can press a piece of tissue paper into it to get the shape.
- Cut out the foam.
- Glue it in place within the frame.
- If you need to cover the back of your frames (because they’re ugly) or you don’t like seeing the foam from the side, you can cover it with fabric. I just brushed on Mod Podge, pressed the fabric over the foam and onto the frame. Then trimmed the excess fabric.
- Fill with pretties!
I tell ya, without this thing, my earring situation would be an absolute mess! There is no way I’d have so many matching pairs and I wouldn’t know half of them existed. I’ll admit though, the pairs don’t always stay so nice and perfectly organized :)
I think these would make the perfect DIY Christmas gifts for the ladies in your life! Who doesn’t need an earring organizer? And one that they will actually use? Genius! Plus, these are so cheap (and easy) to make, you really cannot go wrong. Who wants the two I’m not using?! :D