Need an excuse to buy hair chalk?! Wish granted. Channel your favorite magical creature with this DIY costume, a pastel rainbow unicorn! Thought a pastel rainbow unicorn costume couldn’t be sophisticated enough for an adult? Think again! This simple costume requires little put-together and can be endlessly customized.
This could be an amazing family costume as well, you can all be different colored unicorns! Seriously, how cute would that be? I only have maybe one more year left of choosing what Stella will be for Halloween but all I can do is hope that when she is choosing for herself, she’ll want the whole family to be unicorns. I’d feel so successful as a parent.
Even if you’re being a singular unicorn, be any color of unicorn you want! Dress yourself in pastels and be an all-over rainbow unicorn! The great thing about mythical creatures is that no one can tell you your interpretation of it is wrong. Also, being one justifies carrying confetti around with you and spontaneously tossing it in the air!
- white clothes (leggings and shirt) //
- white shoes (the clunkier the better!) //
- white felt //
- batting //
- thread //
- hot glue and gun //
- hair chalk //
- scissors //
1. Cut a triangle of white felt with a curved bottom. Cut it as tall as you’d like your horn to end.
2. Roll one end over onto the middle of the triangle so the top is pointy and closed off.
3. Apply glue to the other end and roll it up.
4. Stuff your horn full of batting and then cut two felt circles the same size as the bottom of your horn.
5. Glue one of the circles onto your horn to seal in the batting.
6. Glue thread to the bottom of the horn and then pull tightly around the horn in an upward spiral. Seal at the top with more glue and snip off remaining thread.
7. Glue horn onto top, middle of your headband.
8. Glue the other circle under the headband to secure your horn to it.
9. For the tail, I found this jumbo braid of fake hair at Sally Beauty for $3. Use your hair chalk to color thick strands different colors. Combine colors on each strands for even more fun results! Generally, if you use hair chalk dry then it will go on pastel-y, if you put it on wet hair or do many layers, you’ll get darker results. Affix the tail to your pants with a safety pin.
10. Throw your hair in to a pony and use the chalks there too for a rainbow-y mane!
11. Wear all white, throw around confetti and have a magical Halloween!