I’m obviously obsessed with mini pinatas, I have done them for nearly every holiday this past year. And that’s because they’re awesome! Personal pinatas that burst open right in your hands = the best. And these little hearts are such a fun way to pass out your valentines this year. Tell your sweeties to break your heart and they’ll be really happy they did.
- Thin cardboard //
- Tissue or crepe paper //
- Scissors //
- Tape //
- Pointy object (seam ripper or scoring tool) //
- Glue //
- Pinata fillings (valentines) //
1. Use a really thin cardboard, cereal boxes are perfect but this time I just used another thin cardboard that I had. Cut two hearts (here is the size and shape i used) for every pinata you’re making and several thin strips.
2. Use a pointy tool (I have this scoring tool but I’ve used a seam ripper before and that is perfect!) to do a perforated line straight down the middle of each heart. We really want this to be pretty weak so it breaks easily so do the holes really close. I usually even cut the very end bits a little too.
3. Attach the little strips to one heart. We want these parts attached very strong so the middle is the weakest part so I attach them with hot glue first and then re-enforce with tape.
4. Fill your pinata with valentines and goodies!
5. Attach the other heart.
6. Cut a bunch of fringe, I just used crepe paper streamers.
7. Glue them onto the front of your pinata, layering each on top of the other.
8. Trim the fringe to the shape of your pinata.
9. Now do all the other sides and you’re done!
These little guys burst right open when you bend the sides toward each other to reveal the goodies inside! Tuck a sweet little note or even fold up a store bought valentine card. Any mini toys or candy are appropriate too.
You can attach little sayings with a bit of twine like “You’re a heart breaker, Valentine!” or just a to and from tag. Using a marker to draw a zig zagging line right down the middle would be cute too! Now go be a heart breaker, I give you permission!