It is June and that means hopefully a lot of pool time over the next few months! For us, that will probably be a small kiddie pool for my son but still, it counts right?! And sloths are the ultimate lounging animal, known for their slow movement they are a symbol of laziness. But laziness is not always a bad thing – especially if you are on a pool float enjoying a summer day!
In fact, sloths are the slowest mammal on the planet and only move around 123-125 feet a day. This slow movement is an attempt to conserve energy since they have very low metabolisms and have a low-calorie diet.
Sloths spend 90% of their time hanging from trees, so you won’t find them actually laying on their backs in nature. But I thought it would be fun to pretend and use popsicle sticks to make these fun lounging sloths!
- Popsicle or Craft Sticks
- Construction paper in brown and tan
- Hot Glue gun and glue
1. Place four popsicle sticks side by side.
2. Cut another popsicle stick the same width as the 4 sticks. Repeat one more time.
3. Glue the smaller sticks on top of the 4 sticks to hold it all together.
4. Cut two pieces of popsicle sticks around 1 inch long. These will be the feet.
5. Glue the feet to the end of the 4 sticks.
6. Cut out three toes from brown paper.
7. Glue the toes to the end of the feet.
8. For the arms I cut out two pieces of popsicle sticks – one was about an inch and the other one about two inches. Glue the smaller piece at an angle on the back of the popsicle sticks. Glue the larger one perpendicular to the small one.
9. Cut out two circles from tan and light brown paper. The tan one should be about 1 inch in diameter and the brown one about 1 1/4 inch diameter. I didn’t have the right shade of tan paper so I used a one-inch wood circle for my face. Either way works great!
10. Glue the smaller tan circle on top of the brown.
11. Glue the face to the top of the 4 popsicle sticks.
12. Cut out two eye-shapes from brown paper. I don’t know how to describe this shape so refer to the photo!
13. Glue the brown eyes on the circle.
14. Use a pen to draw closed eyelids, a nose, and a mouth.
Sloths are just the cutest don’t you think?!