Wanna know two things I just love? One is a clever doormat. The other is how Mean Girls has not only stayed relevant in pop culture but has possibly gotten even more beloved and popular. Malissa and I have always LOVED that movie! Beyond it’s hilarity, teenage-drama appeal, and cleverness is also a good life lesson, or even a few good lessons. Plus its one of the only times Lindsay Lohan has ever been likeable. So theres that.
The flick is just full of quotable moments and phrases. So, I decided to combine these two loves into the post that you see here today: Mean Girls quote rugs.
I love how each of these phrases is not only funny, but applicable to a rug. Just image the rug saying each of these phrases and I think it is hilarious! Like, “why are you so dirty, rug?” “I can’t help it that I’m popular” :’D
Can’t decide which one you like best? Now is the perfect time to start thinking about, and making, those Christmas gifts! Girlfriends, sisters and moms would all delight in one of these guys underfoot. But making one just for you is totally acceptable too!
My husband says the “Get in Loser” one is just mean, and I guess taken out of context it totally is. But you live with like really cool people who will totally get it, right? I can’t help but see it in a college-age apartment where it fits right in and no one is offended by it. I just couldn’t resist that phrase since it is literally perfect for a doormat. But if it gives off the wrong vibe to you, go with one of the other options shown here or do another one! You could even customize the phrases a little more to suit this need. Like, “I’m not like a regular rug, I’m a cool rug.” Go ahead, watch the movie to get inspired! Then grab your boring, blank rugs and get to it!
- Blank doormat (all of these are from IKEA and were around $5) //
- Martha Stewart craft paint in chosen color or an outdoor craft paint (I used beetle black, pink carnation, and wedding cake (all in this set)//
- Sharpie in matching color //
- Assorted paintbrushes
- Outline your phrase on your mat in sharpie. I am not an awesome free hand letterer. So I went to dafont.com and typed in my phrase in the search box till I found one I liked. Then I just referenced that image while I sketched it out. No need for perfection in this step, just get it lightly on there!
*For the “wednesdays” one, with the more precise, bold face font, I actually used my cricut to cut the phrase out of freezer paper. I then lightly ironed the freezer paper onto the rug and used that as a stencil. I also did the same thing for the “popular” rug as I didn’t have a white sharpie to mark it with so I immediately wanted to do paint and didn’t want it ruined! Sorry, should’ve taken pics of that process but I didn’t! If you don’t have a cricut, just freehand it in a flowy font and you’ll be happy :)
- Use your craft paint and a thicker brush to coat your phrase.
- Allow to dry and then do another coat.
- Finally, go back in with a finer tip brush to get all the edges of the letters looking sharp.
That’s it! Super easy DIY that anyone with a brain will love! haha! I am planning to give these away to friends as gifts. But I’ll surely keep one for myself! Maybe even the mean “get in” one. Because I honestly love that for a rug, even if most the visitors I have to my house won’t get it. :P