So we are in the midst of #snowpocalypse2016 over here. Which means we really do have a lot of snow, not a foot yet but it looks like it may get there. And it also means that all weekend we will be huddled under blankets, eating tons of food and binge watching Netflix (plus hopefully some reading too). It is still the beginning of a new year which means it is a time for a new regular feature! Every so often we will be sharing an “AJR Favorites” post to share with you our latest favorites whether that be books, design trends, music, tv shows, party ideas, party supplies, clothing, etc.!
To kick this off we are rounding up our current favorite podcasts. This may seem somewhat random to the blog but listening to podcasts while you are completing your latest DIY project is the best thing to do. I have been trying to listen to podcasts more often ever since I found a new podcast app that I love (Overcast which is free and has tons of great features). Apparently I did not share my newest finds with Machelle soon enough though because she recently told me she felt like she had been wasting tons her life before she started listening to podcasts and blames me for that. Harsh!
So, to make sure that I do not receive any blame from anyone else I am passing along both of our favorite podcasts for you all to check out. And we would love to hear from you – what are your favorite podcasts?
1. 99% Invisible – shorter podcast that explores design in our lives. Topics range from “the worst smell in the world” to superhero costumes.
2. BackStory – awesome history podcast that takes a current event as the impetus for exploring the history of the topic.
3. On the Media – media analysis show covering why we use the term “boots on the ground,” political correctness and more.
4. Planet Money – who knew economics could be so fun?
5. Serial – obviously!
6. RadioWest – based out of SLC with host Doug Fabrizio who is just fantastic and covers all topics.
7. TED Radio Hour – explores a particular issue or topic using past TED talks.
8. This American Life – had to include this one!
9. Welcome to Night Vale – community updates from a fictional town where anything is possible. I would have to describe this as delightfully bizarre.
10. StarTalk – an hour with Neil deGrasse Tyson, enough said.
11. Book Review by the New York Times – authors and critics discuss books, art, ideas.
What should we add to our list?!